I made it as a ruby Gem package option, check it out here https://github.com/noroot/jekyll-mail-comments
Undercut contains README file from repository, and comments.
Feel free to comment, I’ve already installed it onto this blog, go ahead to try.
How it works ?
- You’ve to setup mailbox, on Jekyll pages you will have mailto link which opens native system mail client with pre filled subject.
- Person who wants to comment message write message to your specific email address.
- Fetch program watch for special subject suffix to distinct comments from other emails
- Fetch program generate json based data files which perfectly fits to Jekyll data system https://jekyllrb.com/docs/datafiles/
What is the purpose ?
- Jekyll static site generator has no comments system
- Any RDBS for static site generator is overhead
- Go to your jekyll site
- Install gem
gem install mail_comments
- Setup credentials
There few credentials your have to setup before run:
** MC_LOGIN - Login to imap server ** MC_PASSWORD - Password for imap server ** MC_HOST - IMAP server hostname ** MC_PORT - IMAP server port ** MC_SUBJECT_SUFFIX - Suffix to filter comments
- You have put this as environment variables
- After that you will get comments data files inside Jekyll data directory - _data
After that if new comments are present it will generate data files with comments which you can process with Jekyll with data tag. See here. [https://jekyllrb.com/docs/datafiles/] or below.
Templates for Jekyll can be found inside templates directory of this gem.
Inspiration while searching for already existing gem for email comments
- Inplace form to post comment
- PGP signing for messages
- Here, below ↓↓↓